Friday, April 24, 2009

Page 3 Design


I was assigned to design page three. I did not have any of the jump stories from the front page which was lucky, I did have stories that directly affect campus life.
The stories at the top of the page are both about campus expansion. The first story is about the expansion to the University Health Center. The second story was about the expansion to the Tate Student Center. Both were important to students and faculty and needed to be toward the front of the paper.
Because the two stories were very similar, I wanted to make it a package story. That is when I got the idea to use a headline for both stories then using pictures to distinguish what the stories were about.
I made the stories two columns after talking to Joe to see what the best way to go about making all of my ideas fit together. By using the four columns across a 5 column paper, the stories were equal and I did not have to try to make one story two columns and the other three.
The third story about budget cuts was very straight forward. The was no question that it would be an L shape with the graphic to enhance the story. I really liked the graphic because it was so cleanly made and very easy for readers to read.
The budget story was given to my page because it is also involving campus life and it is good to see where the money in the budget is actually going.

4 comments:

  1. I like this page a lot. I immediately was drawn to the bottom story. The picture is dominant and the story looks very clean cut. I also like that you had the ability to make the top stories four columns and the bottom five without it being awkward in design. In addition, I think you used the color in the top in a subtle, non-obnoxious way. Lastly, I love that the top story package is equal demonstrating the similarities in a graphical way not just textual. I loved your layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your page! I would have thought campus expansion and budget stories, though obviously important to the university community, would be boring to layout. Your use of graphics and color really made this a visually interesting page though. The pictures of the health center and Tate framed the stories nicely, and I thought the construction hats were a cute and creative way to add some extra color to the page. The budget graphic also helped break up the text in the lower portion of the page and helped give some context to the numbers. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice page! I really like the construction hat graphics at the top--it really grabs the reader and adds just enough color to the page. The symmetry the at the top also makes your page look very organized. Overall, your page is simple and easy to follow. The budget graph is also a nice touch the story since it further explains how students will be affected. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what you've done with this page. The under construction graphics are a nice way of telling the reader what they'll find on the page. I also like the symmetry between the two top stories. It looks like you had a lot of words to fit in and did a nice job of keeping the graphics a decent size. The one thing I noticed was the bylines in the top story. Again, this could just be due to space constraints, but I would have liked to see them done the same way as the byline in the bottom story.

    ReplyDelete