Friday, April 24, 2009

Legendary

Okay, not really legendary...
Anyway, for the front page I took the designs of a few fellow classmates and kind of combined them together. It's been long enough for me not to remember what got taken from whom, The dominant element on the page, Doggie Dreams, was pretty central in all of the designs. I started with it one one side, but decided to take it to the middle to make it framed better and look more featured. There are very few other elements on the page outside of text, so I decided to do what I could with lines to make it stand out. My regret is that the top line is not equidistant from the picture as the side lines, so it almost looks cramped at the top. Hate it, but spilt milk, right?
The top story about fundraising was almost a no-brainer R&B kind of choice, but I had the dollar rule in mind when I created the pull quote. Also, Joe helped me decide to make the story four columns instead of five so the quote would look symmetrical, a must for me. And while I didn't have the space to use a heavy leading, I did use one of the pretty line/box options.
The bar at the bottom to me looks a little juvenile, but I'm dealing with it. I needed to bring in way more pictures and color, so a playful little "bottom bar" was one of very few options. I thought about a sidebar, but I couldn't fit the right and left single-column stories on just the right side. It would have looked very cramped and nasty. So, color accomplished! I loved the picture of the bee, and I also chose to use a custom green for lines at the bottom and the section under the flag to connect the top and bottom.
It other front page design news, this totally caught my eye on Newseum today. While overall the page to me seems a little bit crowded, I am in love, love, love with that awesome picture of the spider sculpture and the visual perspective there. Props. And generally I like the layout of the rest of the page except the bottom right-hand corner. I think it's the summer movie graphic that doesn't do it for me.
I also think how this was done is a good example of having really one dominant visual on the middle of the front page but keeping things interesting with the top and bottom. I am peeved, however, that the other right top headline does not cover all the text. I know it's hard (trust me, that health center headline had about 20 different versions, no hyperbole), but I think it looks so much better when it is fuller.
Great time in this class!

6 comments:

  1. I love the way the front page came out! I think that every story is interesting and they are all laid out really well. I like the pull quote on the top story and I like how you put the 'doggie dreams' under the picture of the dog instead of on top. I also like how you did the two seperate side column and the mug shot of Kaye Sweetser is placed perfectly. The bottom looks really good too. I love all three pictures. Overeall, it looks really clean, organized and its a good mix between text and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige, your page is pretty sweet. Haha. your use of color and the layout in general is really clean and eye-catching, and if this were a real paper, I would definitely pick it up! I think you organized this page very clearly and the images you used definitely can help people move around the page, starting with the dog story. The stories on this page are not only interesting, but they are what is important, so if we only keep the readers long enough for the front page they can get a taste of what our little organization was about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the front page ended up pretty good after all! There are a few things, but considering you were working on a deadline it is good. I really like they way you divided the stories with the lines. It made it easier to read because the distinct separations. I like the graphics you chose to use to pull people into the stories like the spring break 2k9 and the video game one. It was very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paige -- I actually prefer the bottom bar over the side bar. I think it completes the page in a nice way. Plus, it's a little unique for a front page because the majority of this type has side bars instead -- so I like it. I also really like the bee picture. Additionally, I like the final placement of the Doggie Dreams story. It's central and obvious that it is our main story. Lastly -- I love the headlines. I'm a huge fan of the "Twitter me this" headline -- it's eye-catching and kinda sarcastic (ish) and bold. I think it's a really good front page :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The front page turned out great! I really like your use of color with the green lines and in the graphics. The green line is particularly a nice touch-- it pulls all of the elements together and creates a nice clean line and organization. I also love how the columns next to the dog photos and the columns on the top story are symmetrical. Again, it adds to the the organization and just makes the the overall front page clean and crisp. I loved all the headlines, but my fave is probably "Twitter me this"--very catchy! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're being a bit hard on yourself in your own critique of your page! It's much improved from the one shown in class! I like the colors and especially how you added the forecast at the top and the row of pictures at the bottom. There's a funny little black box on the ear of the dog in the dominant picture...If you click on the page to see the larger version you can see it. I'm guessing it was just a box you were using to measure things out that got left in there? Or maybe I'm seeing things. Either way, nice job with the page!

    ReplyDelete