Wednesday, April 29, 2009



In my page, I had two stories along with two jumps from the front page. Since there are a lot of words on my page, I tried to make it as appealing as possible while still fitting all the stories. I included two photos to the two complete stories which would draw the readers’ eye to them. I felt that the jumps did not need photos because people who were reading those stories were already invested by the time they made it to page 2. The stories did not come with photos so I found these stock photos online. I wish they were more original but the quality is good and I feel they go along with their respective story. The placement of the photos was also important because I did not want to put them too close together or in an awkward position. The top photo of the lab student was placed facing inward towards the rest of the page. The boy at the computer is also facing inward. This is important because in brings in the page instead of directing the readers’ eyes away from the page. This is seen in the NY Times today. The pictures such as the man in the upper left hand corner, are all facing inward towards the center of the paper. On the Red and Black front page, it would have been better if the car at the bottom was facing towards the page, instead of away from it.

The columns also allowed me to add variety to a seemingly wordy page. The jump on the bottom was stretched out to four columns instead of five. This not only allows the story to fit better but gives variety to the page. The headlines were difficult to fit the allotted space and some do not stretch the entire way but I do not think they are too distracting. Overall, I feel my page emphasizes the news stories on the page with placement and pictures as well as fitting in all the stories.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the stock photos you chose, especially the top left one. Right away that photo interested me in the story. The action in the picture is good, and it gives a potentially "boring" lab story a draw to it. Maybe I'm prejudiced, being an aspiring photographer myself, but I think photos are one of the most important tools in design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you had no easy job with me constantly changing the front page and altering your story lengths. I think it turned out really well, and I like how you drew attention to the pictures and made some variety there. Love how you chose them and why. The only thing I would change is maybe add some lines to separate the stories. Lines somehow can really make a page 110%.

    ReplyDelete