Thursday, January 22, 2009

No One Is Safe

I'm pretty sure I'm not bursting anyone's bubble by saying that the print journalism industry is maybe not at its peak right now, but POP. I know in class we have focused mainly on newspapers, but as a magazines major, I found this article more relevant to my own personal (lack of a) profession. This article shows that. Like the newspaper industry, magazines are cutting staff and have seen a decline in ad revenue - although I can't say I'm totally sure which one might have caused the other. For some magazines, say Men's Vogue, which has been basically dissolved and will become a biannual insert in regular Vogue, obviously thrive on advertising. Ads and selling clothes, products, a lifestyle are basically what Vogue - men's or otherwise - is all about. So for me - though I am not a reader of Men's Vogue and only occasionally peruse Vogue - usually when looking for a haircut - the fact that a magazine built on luxury for an arguably niche market product is not terribly surprising. Nor can I say I was shocked by this:

Playgirl folding? Really? The article about the editors' reflections was actually very interesting, but that aside - and not being personally familiar with the publication - I'm not surprised to see it fail. Even Playboy, which has what could be argued as a broader market, is facing difficulties.

To me, it makes sense for advertisers to not be excited about signing long-term commitments. There really isn't a guarantee that the publication will last. Nothing like having a contract with a company and finding out it is shutting down.

So how do I feel about magazines and their future? I think that, like newspapers, reading a magazine online is not the same as having it in front of you. In fact, I think it is more so the case with magazines - glossy pages, more colorful design - it is more about having it and flipping pages. I can't see a magazine like Lucky - a shopping magazine - being all online because who has the patience to wait for the pages and pages of pictures to load? Not me. I do, however, recognize that, like newspapers, magazines have to adapt to the Internet and the supplements it can provide - blogs, day to day items and instant subscriptions. Unlike newspapers though, which in some cases are stopping delivery, I do not see this as an option for magazines. I subscribe to one magazine - Entertainment Weekly (I love the Hit List), but would be very unlikely to make the drive to Barnes and Noble to buy it from the newsstand. I also think that most magazines offer ludicrous subscription deals - 10 issues for $10!!!! - and maybe should not be so quick to discount their products. But for me, it's all been downhill since Jane shut down.

3 comments:

  1. You're right, advertising does fuel print world and Interactive media ads are the hot new trend right now. I think once all the brands out there get established digitally, they will go back their magazine roots. There is just not enough money or demand right now to try and function both at the same time. But magazines will prevail--you're right about a magazine just not being the same unless it's in front of you F2F.

    On a different note-- "she realized that looking at photos of naked men all day was not everything she had imagined it would be" ---dream job- ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting point about the advertisers not wanting to sign long-term commitments to a magazine with all the failures. I agree with your point about converting magazines online. It's just not feasible, unless you do something dramatically different online, and perhaps change the format of its magazine. For instance, Sporting News started out as a weekly sports news magazine. With the advent of the web, they developed a comprehensive site that's updated hourly with sports news, scores, stats, etc. Now they're magazine is a biweekly product with a focus on features, rather than sports news.

    By the way, you have the perfect name for a column. I can see it now, inside back cover ... "The Last Paige."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is brilliant. How have I never thought of that?

    ReplyDelete