Friday, April 24, 2009

I designed a page.


Awwwww, snap.

Ok, disclaimer: This class has taxed my creativity and emotional stability more than once, so here is my final contribution to my lab.

I was charged with designing a features page that covered the "fun" stuff that surrounded President Obama's inauguration. Fried chicken, salted watermelon and other stigmas aside, Barack and Michelle have provided our writers with some really neat content. The first story comes from my lab, and is written by Kathy. Originally titled "Music for a Nation," this feature is one of my faves. I chose to lay out the story in a giant "L" shape, with an oversized photo of Beyoncé (oh hey girl hey) on the right. This story covers the first half of the page, and is separated by a triple line at the bottom. There's a lot of text, but it still fits the "dollar bill" test.

The second story is a shout out to Michelle Obama's superb fashion sense. If Jackie Kennedy could've heard Beyoncé's "Diva," then she may have been a worthy opponent of Michelle.

...But she didn't, so she's not.

I decided to pull three images of Lady Obama in different gowns to create a "U-shaped" story. The story is a little wordy, and I had to shrink my images to accommodate all of the gray matter, but it works.

Considering that this has been my first go-round with InDesign, news layout and really print media in general (I'm a techie; I just tend to prefer it that way), I'm pleased with the way this has turned out.

...Plus, I've loved the company of my classmates and all I've learned from them, so I really can't complain : )

3 comments:

  1. Your page turned out great. I love that people chose to write about the inauguration from this angle, as I think it really adds an element of interest to a topic that is covered time and time again. I love the way you pulled the three different pictures of Michelle Obama to better illustrate the story, and you also did a great job placing them. Good job using the "L" and the "U" designs!

    P.S. Don't forget you need to link to two external sources :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this page! The first story obviously had a ton of text but I think you did a great job of breaking it up with the big picture you chose. Also, I think what you did with the three pictures of Michelle Obabma is great and really creative. Overall, I think your selection and layout of pcitures really made your page look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Davis! I love this page and the way you used the "L" and "U" designs. I almost completely forgot all about them. Anyways, I feel like you did a great job with the pictures. I probably should have gone online and gotten some more pictures for my page to make it more interesting. The colors really catch my eye - and don't hate on Jackie O, although Michelle Obama really does know what she's doing when it comes to style.

    ReplyDelete