Friday, April 3, 2009

FIrst Lady Fashion-Laine


While clicking around on CNN.com for news I noticed a cute story that reminded me of the story chart activity we did at the beginning of the semester in lab.  The activity where we thought of an event and then branched off into all the different story ideas that could arise from that event or subject.  There was a lot of news about the G-20, most of it what you would have expected about politics and presidents.  Then they had a story about the spouses of the leaders and what they wore during their stay.  A bit petty but at least a different angle to the story! 
I also wanted to note that after our discussion in lecture I am noticing the layout of the pages I visit more.  I appreciate CNN.com's layout because it's easy to find world news or focus in on something more subject specific.   They also have no shortage of photos and video to accompany each story.

3 comments:

  1. Laine,
    I like that you brought up brainstorming because I had almost forgotten about that activity and I have been trying to think of some good story ideas lately so that it was I am going to do. However, I do wish you would have addressed the article in more detail concerning why you liked it so much. As far as CNN's layout goes, I also like it a lot--I visit it once every couple of days. Maybe next time you could link us to your favorite pages and you could tell us more of what you like about it and why. Besides its easy navigation, what else do you like about it? Are there special design techniques that appeal to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! I love that a journalist decided to approach the G-20 in a different way, reporting a more fun and lighthearted side of the story.

    About cnn.com... You're right! Cnn.com is my homepage, because it is one of my favorite places to get the news. To me, it is one of the easiest news sites to read. You get the most important and breaking news front and center and are able to easily find anything else you might be looking for. In addition, the plethora of multimedia options make me appreciate the Web site even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sudden interest in the wardrobes of politicians' wives is bizarre. The pictures in this article are more interesting because of the different culture, but enough about Michelle's clothes. The fact that Michelle Obama has style is not newsworthy.

    Maybe doing articles like this one is a gateway for some to read about the summit and world affairs, but I doubt it.

    CNN is great for getting news updates fast--it's one of the fastest loading websites in fact, but I hate when their top stories are videos. It takes longer to get the story by video than reading the article or story box.

    ReplyDelete